Wedding FAQ

Where would you suggest for a ceremony location at Central Park?

Pretty much all of Central Park is breathtakingly beautiful, so anywhere you choose will make your wedding a day to remember. Some popular places are the Conservatory Gardens, Ladies Pavilion, The Pond, Cherry Hill, Bow Bridge, Belvedere Plaza, Cedar Hill, Bethesda Terrace, and Harlem Meer.  We can suggest other locations within the park to you as well.  The best way to choose a spot is to first determine how many guests you will have at your ceremony, as each location is permitted with a maximum number of guests allowed.

What is the cost of permits?

The Conservatory Gardens requires a permit of $400 and an additional photography permit of $100. All other gatherings of 20 people or more held outside of the Conservatory Gardens is $25 and includes the photography permit.

How do I get my permit?

The Conservatory Gardens requires a permit of $400 and an additional photography permit of $100. All other gatherings of 20 people or more held outside of the Conservatory Gardens is $25 and includes the photography permit. The permit only guarantees the space for your use it is not blocked off, but part of the service we provide is to arrive early to help clear the area.??You can get your permit for the Conservatory Gardens at the Central Park Conservancy by calling 212-360-2766, Monday through Friday.  Your date will be reserved and confirmed immediately, providing there is no conflict with a previously reserved party. If a conflict exists, you will be notified so that you may choose another date/time. A permit will be mailed to you one month before your date. For any other locations in Central Park, you can download the online application at

When can I get my permit?

You should allow 21-30 days for your permit to be processed. Permits are requested within the same year of the event date. So if you’re planning on tying the knot in 2009, you can apply for your permit in January of 2009. Any last minute events can still be processed if there is availability, please contact us if your event is within the next 30 days.

How do I find out if my wedding date is available?

Availability for your wedding or event date will be given when you apply for you permit. Once your permit application is submitted, someone will contact you if that date is not available. They will also contact you if you have too many guests for that particular location. They will offer suggestions for your size group and event type. If you submit your application and you don’t get any phone calls, your permit is on its way to you. If you need to check on your application status, call 212-360-2766 for the Conservancy Garden and (212) 408-0226 for all other locations in the Park.

Are there any restrictions on using tents and chairs in the park?

Yes! Chairs, tents, tables or anything that will affect the soil are not allowed at Central Park. There are exceptions to the use of chairs for the elderly or handicapped.

Can I have my ceremony AND reception in the park?

Of course you can, but keep in mind that chairs not allowed.  If you are looking to have a reception picnic, the Wedding Planner can arrange for a very special and elegant picnic for you and your guests.  Otherwise, options in the park for a reception include The Loeb Boathouse.   

Can I bring my own vendors to the park?


Can I have my ceremony in the Central Park Zoo?

Yes, but the process application is a bit different from the rest of the park. Please contact Lilian Valentine at 212-439-6509 or 212-360-8111

Silhouettes in front of Bethesda Fountain
Sharon Bushman
Silhouettes underneath
Bethesda Terrace

What are the marriage license requirements for New York state?

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. The application for a license must be signed by both the bride and groom in the presence of the town or city clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the bride or groom. This applies even if the representative has been given the Power of Attorney.  Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the bride or groom cannot be substituted for their personal appearance.  For more information, including step-by-step directions on how to obtain a marriage license in New York, please follow this link:

How long is the marriage license valid and how much does it cost?

A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued. If the marriage license is issued by a town or city clerk in New York State outside of New York City, it costs $40. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent by the issuing clerk to the applicants within 15 days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the marriage ceremony). It serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file. Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four weeks of the wedding should contact the town or city clerk who issued the license.